Necessity is the Mother of All Invention

Like last week, I was looking to solve a problem with this week’s craft project; however, I foolishly assumed I created the idea all by myself.  I was wrong…  I was looking for recipes on Pinterest when I came upon a pin that looks remarkably like the project I just completed.  My job has recently changed.  I’m still working at the same place, but I’ve moved into a more public position and my appearance is now more of a concern.  That’s not to say that I didn’t always make sure I washed my face, brushed my teeth and used deodorant.  It’s just that now I choose to use make up (which requires remover, too), hair styling products (I even unearthed my freaking blow dryer), and all sorts of other lotions and potions.  This meant that my formerly clear and clutter free bathroom counter was being overrun with clips, cotton balls and a bunch of other random stuff.  My OCD jumped into overdrive, so I had to find a solution to the problem.  I decided to make cute jars to stick all the stuff in, so it would still be accessible, but also out of my way.  Apparently, I wasn’t the only person who encountered this type of problem and solved it by repurposing jars from the recycle bin.

I grabbed a few jars from my stash.  (I save them for possible reuse.  It drives Gwen crazy, but I’d rater pay 99 cents for a drawer pull than $15 for a q-tip holder at the store.)  I originally chose three, but had to scrap the 3rd one, because I couldn’t seem to get rid of the garlic smell (anyone have a suggestion on how to solve that problem?).  I cleaned the jars with goo gone to get rid of the left over sticker goop.  Then I let them dry completely.

left over jars   clean with goo gone

Next I grabbed my cordless drill with a metal bit and drilled a hole in the center of the lid for each jar, so I could attach an inexpensive drawer pull to the tops.  I used shorter wood screws, that I had hanging around from another project, instead of the long ones that came with the knobs.  A jar lid is much thinner than a cabinet door, and I wanted the knobs to sit flush with the tops of the jars.

Drill a hole to attach the knobs   see the hole?   attach the knob  Ready for Paint

Now that the knobs were secure, the jars were ready for paint.  We have a bit of a grey color scheme running throughout our 2nd floor, so I grabbed the left over spray paint I had from painting a thrift store computer desk last weekend, and went to town on the jar lids.  I sprayed each lid thoroughly, making sure to coat the underside of the knobs.

Paint the tops   Let them Dry Completely

Once the tops were totally dry, I filled the jars and cleaned up some of the mess on my bathroom counter.

Bathroom Storage Jars

What do you think?

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under check-it-off-the-list, hunting for a new home, projecty type stuff, self improvement

2 responses to “Necessity is the Mother of All Invention

  1. tribw

    never thought about doing it yourself, was just looking for them. thanks for this! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s